Back to Top

About Us

Mace at Coltishall Post Office is owned and run by Steve and Liz Haines, supported by a fantastic team of staff. Steve runs the business full time after a 25 year career in IT and communications, while Liz continues with her work as a community Health Visitor in Norwich.

History

The shop was first established in the 1890s by Robert Allen and his wife Emma Huddy Allen. The present building at that time formed a small shop at the right hand end, with a cottage between the shop and the King's Head. The land behind the shop, between the shop and the river, had commercial maltings with access for loading wherries on the river, and a yard with a number of small cottages, long since gone.

Robert Allen died in 1906 leaving the shop to his wife, who continued to run it until she died in 1935. The property was then acquired by Cyril James Morse, of the nearby Limes house for the sum of £575 and the shop was run by his wife Mabel Morse. Mabel's daughter Margaret was born on the premises and still lives in a cottage nearby.

In 1974 the property and business were purchased by John and Barbara Wharton, passing to Wyndham and Sandy Rose in 1986, who sold it to Steve and Liz in 2002. Its not clear exactly when the Post Office moved to this location - possibly in the seventies, although it could have been earlier. The newsagents business, formerly run by a Mr. Francis from the shop next door (now a hairdressers) was merged into the business in the 1990s.

If you know anything more about the history of the shop and the building, or even better, have any old photographs, please let us know - we'd love to hear from you.

Legal

Mace at Coltishall Post Office is operated by Unilake Ltd., a limited company registered in the UK and wholly owned by Stephen and Elizabeth Haines.
Company Registration No. 2840697.
Registered Office: 18 The Bartlet, Felixstowe, Suffolk, IP11 7SN
VAT Registration: GB 758 2459 93